Sunday 15 November 2009

Chances, no.

What are the chances of wishing you could have said the things you wanted to say before it's too late?
Lots.

What are the chances of the things you know that are virtually impossible becoming a reality?
Too few.


And that, the slimmest chance in life, has graced itself into my list of blessings.

I got to tell you something. Your Great-Grandmother (阿祖) just accepted Jesus Christ!
Mom said on Skype, and I was pretty sure she was joking.

For all my life (at least up until now), everyone except my mom, sister, cousin, a distant relative and I, have been either a non-believer, or a devote Buddhist. Praying for my friends to become Christians seemed more realistic than for family members who had been devout Buddhists all their lives. Even more so when they have committed themselves soley to Buddhism (落髮). They are the last person on earth that will ever believe in God, I thought to myself (let alone the language barrier).

It is true that everyone has the freedom to choose their faith, but you have been blessed with so much in your own faith, it is only natural for one to wish his/her loved ones can too.

I have been praying for my family of Buddhists to at least experience the blessings from God for as long as I remember being a Christian. It was always something that was I taught in Sunday Schools, but I never knew how important my faith has become to me until I realized I was running out of time.

My great-grand mother (90) had been diagnosed of the last stage of ovarian cancer last year, and she refused to undergo chemotherapy because somehow she thought it would heal just by surgery removal. By much prayer and effort, the surgery was successful and no other symptoms seemed to worsen her condition.

Three weeks ago, her condition worsened and another surgery was required. But this time, surgery was not promising. My mom put down all her work and left for Taiwan, expecting the worse. Grandfather was even getting prepared for her funeral. No one was confident about this.

I prayed and prayed, scared that history was going to repeat itself when grandmother passed away on her surgery platform. Mom even called to see if I was able to clear my school schedule if anything happens. Two days after the surgery, no phone calls.

"沒消息就是好消息" I kept reminding myself.

But, I called.

The call proved me right because not only the good news of her surgery and recovery, the news two weeks later once again reminded me: God will answer to all those who calls upon Him and that He is more capable than you think.

1 comment:

Grace Lin said...

aww that's so good to hear Claire!!! =)